Highly experienced senior developer and tech lead with a wealth of knowledge in all matters regarding the design, architecture, build and marketing of SaaS platforms, web/mobile apps and high end websites.
My main focus is architecting scalable, maintainable web applications and platforms but I also take great pleasure in engaging, nurturing and guiding junior developers.
I LOVE solving problems and building things!
I'm ridiculously passionate about all aspects of my industry from the technical details to the social impact of what we're doing, I could be considered to be obsessed.
I am highly motivated, driven and focused; I take pride in the quality of work I produce and produced by my teams and am happy to take on responsibility and accountability for large projects, knowing that I can and will do anything I can to bring them in on time, on budget and to sufficient quality.
Code. All the code. I have many years experience in writing code for the web, for mobile apps, desktop apps, API's and frameworks.
- Designing and architecting scalable apps, API's and frameworks
- Writing scalable, maintainable, performant and efficient code
- Identifying areas of re-usability, abstraction, code-smells and technical debt
- Identifying, implementing and/or avoiding 3rd party frameworks where it makes sense to
As a more specific list of technologies I'm experienced with:
- Backend/full stack languages/frameworks such as Groovy/Grails, Java, PHP, Node.js
- Minimal - but valuable - experience with C#, Obj-C, Swift and Android's flavour of Java
- Modern web tooling such as Node/NPM, Yarn, Webpack, Rollup
- Various flavour-of-the-week JS frameworks such as Backbone, Marionnette, React, Redux
- Single page and progressive web-apps via React/Redux, Backbone, home-grown REST API's
- Source code management with Git (GitHub + Bitbucket), SVN
- DevOps tasks such as build and release management, QA and automated testing
- Project/sales/client management with tools such as Jira, Basecamp, SalesForce
The role of Tech Lead is a complex, difficult, relatively undefined one but can be very rewarding. Responsibilities include:
- Identifying business, client and stakeholder requirements for new products and applications
- Communicating with stakeholders at different levels in the business, and with varying levels of technical understanding
- Designing and developing processes and frameworks for efficient implementation of requirements
- Training, nurturing and advising junior developers and teams on best practice, company strategy etc
- Code reviews and quality control
- 1:1 meetings, team incentivisation, training plans
- Providing support to team members in technical, interpersonal and HR matters
Global Tech Lead + Dev Team Manager
Wayin (Jan 2017-Present)
Technical Lead for the Client Services group of Wayin Inc. Wayin provide a number of software platforms for digital campaign management and social conversation curation.
Having spent almost seven years developing the platform at EngageSciences/Wayin, I have moved over to the Services group to help provide structure and experience to the distributed team of developers.
- Train/nurture and manage globally distributed team of developers
- Work with PM's to provide accurate costings and project SOW's
- Code reviews
- Reduce technical debt
- Formalise development process
- Provide platform resources for internal / third party developers
Senior Software Engineer
Wayin (Apr 2016-Dec 2016)
As a result of the merger between EngageSciences and Wayin Inc, I was promoted to Senior Software Engineer, as part of a much larger Engineering Team
EngageSciences (May 2010-Apr 2016)
References and examples of past work are available on request.